Homemade Coconut Face Scrub!
homemade coconut facial scrub
I love coming up with new scrubs and I got the idea for this homemade coconut facial scrub while I was looking through the Mountain Rose Herbs catalog. I noticed they had coconut flakes for adding to soaps and scrubs, so I decided to make my own. As I said in my last beauty post, I'm obsessed with pretty much everything coconut. This scrub has three elements of coconut to make it one of the most gentle and luxurious polishes ever!
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut oil
- Coconut extract
- Sweet almond oil
- Vanilla extract or absolute
- Because the coconut flakes are kind of long and not really grainy, the first step is to finely chop them until they're about the size of sugar granules.
- The size of your jar will depend on how much of all the ingredients you use. After chopping the coconut flakes, measure in the jar how much you will need. Generally I like to fill it about 7/8 full.
- After measuring the coconut flakes, pour into a bowl and add about a tablespoon or so of coconut oil. Mix together.
- Then add the sweet almond oil until the mixture is a thick to medium paste.
- Add just a dash of the coconut and vanilla extract. It's really important to not add more than a dash because extracts contain alcohol, even if they're organic. This is just to scent the polish.
- Finally give it a final mix and pour into the jar and you're good to go!
This polish is great for those with sensitive skin because the coconut flakes are super gentle. The coconut flakes, coconut oil and sweet almond oil are available at my sponsor, Mountain Rose Herbs, probably my favorite online store. Otherwise you can probably find all the ingredients at your local health food store.
Happy scrub making and happy Leap Day!